Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Carbon Footprint :(

My carbon footprint was 13 tons of CO2 per year which is below the U.S national average(27) but it is still a lot of carbon dioxide a year going up and into the atmosphere. A carbon footprint is the total set of greenhouse gases emissions caused by a person, organization, event, or product. Our carbon footprints relate to the concept of sustainability in a negative way. Sustainability is the capacity to endure; to continue to be diverse and productive for years to come. I don't think my carbon footprint helps sustainability at all because I am putting 13 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year, and that is just me alone. If I add up the entire school's carbon footprints, it would be in the millions. Millions of tons of carbon dioxide going into the atmosphere every year! I think that would definitely hinder sustainability at a faster pace than we want. I think I would start seeing the effects of our carbon footprints in our lifetime...if we keep this pattern going. I know there are ways I can reduce my carbon footprint and I am sure there are other people that know of ways as well. We just need to start now and I know where I have to start.

An area where I can reduce my carbon footprint is my home energy. I don't think about how many electrical appliances I have plugged into my walls but they definitely add up. I just don't think that it would make a difference if I unplugged my ipod dock from my wall or not but I guess it would make a huge difference. I also keep my light on all the time at college so I could also turn it off as well during the day, and I could turn off all appliances when I am not using them. For a week, I will turn off my light during the day and I will not run the water when I am washing my hands. This is going to be hard, but if it will keep sustainability from being destroyed I will try my hardest. :)

4 comments:

  1. Its pretty crazy how much CO2 each human uses everyday. even the smallest of actions raises everyone's carbon footprint significantly. I couldn't even imagine what everyone at this university's carbon footprints would add up. I use a lot of electronics at my house too. I didn't even realize how many devices I have plugged in just in my room alone, until Professor Vallier mentioned it. It's pretty sad to think that we rely on so electronic devices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, as I am reading all the other blogs I am noticing how high my carbon footprint is. I must give your props, because compared to me you are doing fine. I think I could do some work on reducing my carbon footprint at home too. I have a huge problem with unplugging everything, so that would be a great place to start. I agree with Reid that it is very sad that we rely on these electronic devices so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey megan you need to start turning your lights off!! I will come at your house sometimes to check if you do your job because this is important!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13? thats crazy. you must not drive anywhere and when you do u must have a nasty hybrid. I got 19 but thats because I drive to school daily and thats about 11,000 miles yearly on my car. so that really killed my carbon footprint. I as well have a lot of electronics plugged into my wall but these days who doesnt?

    ReplyDelete